|Project by Joe_F||posted 07-29-2007 01:00 AM||1678 views||3 times favorited||14 comments|
I wanted to do something really grand for my wife on our 20th anniversery. I know it would be a woodworking effort, but didn’t know what. A glance around the bedroom proved her need for a really big jewelry chest, but I didn’t want to make just a plain old box! So one day she shows me a picture of a cheapie wardrobe mirror, and she’s all excited about it. Everything clicked, and I knew what the project would be: a combination wardrobe mirror / jewelry case.
Got out the quad paper, ruler, and eraser and started designing. Didn’t reference anything, did the whole thing myself. Figured out my cut list, got my wood (red oak) and began. Wifey was informed that the “shop” (garage) was now off limits, and for once she actually listened! I measured twice (actually more, grin) and began my cutting, planing, rounding of edges, etc. I had it all worked out in my head and on paper and once started this project just came together almost like magic; I was amazed.
The only metal fasteners used in the entire project were three wood screws per arm to insure that the vertical supports were very securely fastened to the base; everything else is assembled with just biscuits and glue. Oh, the door has a piano hinge and the box itself pivots on bolts, but those parts dont count, right?
The front mirror door opens full length and there are miniature drawers and pegs to hold her prized jewelry and show it off in splendor. The one thing that needs to be done is to make up a lock mechanism that keeps the box from trying to rotate on it’s pivot bolts when the door is open; I have the design worked out in my mind but haven’t yet put it into practice. Also not all the drawers are finished yet. But hey – she was very happy and that’s what counts!
The entire project is made of red oak, while the back panel is oak plywood (did use a few brads there). Even the tightening knobs were hand made out of oak and utilize an integral hidden “T” nut and rubber washers. The inlay on the door surrounding the mirror is African Padauk, and the mirror was custom made for the project with a nice beveled edge. Project time was about eight weeks, a couple of hours each evening and at least half of each weekend spent working. I did everything slowly and methodically since I wanted this perfect; I think the project came out nicely. Please let me know what you think!