|Project by Tom Regnier||posted 12-29-2015 04:45 PM||694 views||8 times favorited||8 comments|
I built this stool almost a year ago and never got around to putting a finish on it. I’ve used it in my workshop as my bench stool since February and couldn’t decide on what finish to use and if I wanted to put a foot rest on it or not. After using it for a good amount of time I decided to skip the foot rest at least for now…I’m on the tall side so it doesn’t pose an issue for me.
My big dilemma in putting a finish on this was getting up the courage to try ammonia fuming for the first time. We had a nice stretch of warm weather here in New England this past week so I took the opportunity to open the garage door and have at it. Now, all I used was regular grocery store ammonia and I must say that I’m blown away at how nice it came out. I fumed it under a trash barrel for approx. 24 hours and applied 3 coats of Tried and True on it and it looks really beautiful (better than the photos). I’m sure the stronger ammonia must work better/faster but I’m more than pleased at how well this worked.
As for the build on this project it had it’s ups and downs….don’t they all! I made a full size pattern for the legs and used it as a guide to route the final size down after band sawing them to shape. This all worked well except for some router kickback I experienced….the legs are thick and I must have been taking off just a little too much waste. The block is pretty straight forward to glue up while the top I used a circle cutting jig on my little band saw to make the cut. The hardware isn’t cheap but it’s the main function of this piece so I went ahead and bought it from Lee Valley and am pleased with it.
So, I’m really happy I tried fuming the stool but the only problem going forward is that it’s seems too nice now to be using and abusing this in my workshop.
Thanks for looking.