|Project by bobasaurus||posted 09-07-2009 08:35 AM||13985 views||11 times favorited||8 comments|
This is a tongue drum that I made while taking a basic woodworking class in college. It’s made with a padauk soundboard, hard maple for the box, walnut splines, and a baltic birch plywood bottom. The side joinery is mitered (with splines), though I left a square section extending up on the longer sides to hold the sound board firmly during and after tuning. The bottom is held in with rabbets. I put considerable effort into tuning this drum, but it resulted in failure. I carefully planned surface area ratios of the tongues ahead of time to hopefully be on a pentatonic scale, then I carved/chiseled out the tongues while measuring pitch with a microphone and spectrum analyzer program. I managed to get about half of them on a scale when the soundboard was off the box, but then the overtones were too much to tune the rest. By the time I glued the thing together, the pitches had completely changed (lesson learned: tune with the soundboard on the box). I had lots of fun making this instrument, and I’ll likely make more in the future. Woodworking class was like a little vacation during my intense 19 credit hour final semester. Now I’m slowly building up a stock of small tools to continue making great projects in the future.
Bigger versions of these pictures:
-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)