|Project by mfike||posted 09-04-2009 06:46 PM||2934 views||12 times favorited||21 comments|
I’ve wanted to build a workbench for a long time, so I did a lot of research on this site and others to learn as much as I could about them. I finally decided on this one because it seemed to have everything that I would need. I used oak and maple for the top and southern yellow pine for the base. The top is 3” thick and the skirt/apron is 4.5” thick. The endcaps are connected using walnut splines and are glued on one end and bolted on the other. The end vise is connected to a maple block that slides in grooves in the apron. I draw bolted the stretchers to the legs through a hardwood key. The finish is bee’s wax and boiled linseed oil mix. I had to put the bench on a mobile base because my woman still parks her car in here. I knew this was going to be a pretty big project, but the top about wore me out. I didn’t have any 8/4 stock unfortunately so the top is laminated with 3/4 and 4/4 which took a lot of time and a lot of glue. I’m really happy with the final result and I’m sure it will make my woodworking a bit more enjoyable. Thanks for looking.