LumberJocks

Rhino puzzles

  • Advertise with us
Project by Gianni posted 12-25-2015 01:31 PM 581 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

I saw something like this a while back and made a pair of puzzles for a couple of toddlers in my life this Christmas. Stack cutting that thickness on the scroll saw caused some blade flex and it took some re-trimming of a few pieces to get them to slide together well. The whole thing ended up ambit loose but they work.

I finished up by sewing a couple of drawstring bags to put them in. My sewing machine spent some time frustrating the daylights out of me before snapping to and working fine. Not sure what the problem was but it was a bit of a Christmas miracle.

One quick tip: I used carpet tape to srick them together, which normally works pretty well on band saw projects. Not so much on the scroll saw. It gummed up and heated the blade, then softened and didn’t peel nicely leaving glue boogers on all the pieces. Resawing the faces of the pieces individually proved to be pretty dangerous, so I hot glued them to a piece of ply and resawed them all together in the band saw. I left them hot glued while sanding and that worked pretty slick.





1 comment so far

View majuvla's profile

majuvla

9146 posts in 2332 days


#1 posted 12-28-2015 09:48 AM

Very nice and educational toy.

-- Ivan, Croatia, Wooddicted

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com