LumberJocks

Shop made 16'' drum sander !

  • Advertise with us
Project by Spaltedcherry posted 12-22-2015 03:44 AM 4056 views 24 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I have built this drum sander from a Shop Notes plan with some modifications to the dust hood and I put it on a stand with it’s own motor, original it war supposed to run on a table saw but the noise level was to high, made out of MDF, Purpleheart, maple, Baltic plywood and some other stuff it works very well, it take from 0’’ to 4’’ thick material and it is 16’’ wide eventually I will install a motor for the carrier.

-- Gotta love wood !





12 comments so far

View majuvla's profile

majuvla

10234 posts in 2499 days


#1 posted 12-22-2015 06:44 AM

Awesome maschine. I like the colour of it too. I planed to make it also, but I don’t have enough space for it in my workshop.

-- Ivan, Croatia, Wooddicted

View htl's profile

htl

2561 posts in 791 days


#2 posted 12-22-2015 02:48 PM

That’s one handy tool for the shop.
I especially like the window to keep a check on the sand paper.
Where did the handle come from?

-- There's a hundred ways to do anything, alot depends on the tools at hand.

View Julian's profile

Julian

1150 posts in 2322 days


#3 posted 12-22-2015 03:03 PM

What issue of ShopNotes did you find the plans? Looks professionally made. Nice job.

-- Julian

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

1417 posts in 808 days


#4 posted 12-22-2015 03:06 PM

here is a link the shop notes page

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View bushmaster's profile

bushmaster

1961 posts in 1914 days


#5 posted 12-22-2015 03:30 PM

Very nicely done, I like the simplicity of the hand crank feed, why it is variable speed too. Much less complicated than a power feed.

-- Brian - Hazelton, British Columbia

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

1177 posts in 854 days


#6 posted 12-22-2015 03:34 PM

Excellent!

Drum sanders are awesomely useful but over priced in my opinion. I paid $700 for my Performax 16/32 some years ago, now they are over $1100 (Jet equiv.) Aside from a drum that allows for easy attachment of a sanding belt and a nice, sturdy lift mechanism, the rest of the sander are things that can be bought from a surplus house.

The home-brew sanders build in the pages of LJ are clever and well thought out, but they generally lack the conveyor, which for my needs, is critical. The crank drive on this sander will cover 95% of that need, the other 5% (covered with an upgrade to a variable speed motor drive) is the boredom and fatigue if you spend much time sanding.

Nice work!

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

14940 posts in 2322 days


#7 posted 12-23-2015 12:52 AM

VERY impressive build! Is the paper velcro or attached with clips?

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View hoss12992's profile

hoss12992

3857 posts in 1525 days


#8 posted 12-23-2015 01:46 AM

Awesome. Great job

-- The Old Rednek Workshop https://www.facebook.com/theoldrednekworkshoptn

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

5996 posts in 2999 days


#9 posted 12-23-2015 04:04 AM

That is probably one of the best tools one can have in their shop!
That is a real nice build!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23066 posts in 2993 days


#10 posted 12-23-2015 04:25 AM

Nice construction….very handy machine.

View Spaltedcherry's profile

Spaltedcherry

26 posts in 529 days


#11 posted 01-08-2016 02:58 AM



VERY impressive build! Is the paper velcro or attached with clips?

- gfadvm

Thanks for the nice comment, the paper is attached at both end with a wedge and a screw !

-- Gotta love wood !

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

14940 posts in 2322 days


#12 posted 01-08-2016 03:08 AM

Thanks

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com