|Project by jawqn87||posted 12-21-2015 03:39 PM||626 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
Here is a project that I finished last November prior to my move to Houston. It is a walnut and maple bed frame that I started more than 3 years ago. It took a long time for me to complete, part because of the level of construction and part because I kept putting other projects in front of it. the project started as a way for me to practice my mortise and tenon joinery and also the use of hand tools in a project. The legs were made hollow and pine inserts were put into the legs in order to support the cross beams and the sides of the frame, this was done to reduce the weight and cost of the legs. The top caps are solid walnut and maple and were shaped using a circular saw, a jack plane and a jointer plane. The moulding on the legs was made using the table saw to cut the coves and a router for the top chamfer.
This project has been a great learning experience and for sure tested my capabilities and knowledge. It greatly mirrors my building style of being way over built and relying on the use of contrasting woods as a design feature. The finish for the walnut was a 4 step finish in order to avoid the walnut bleaching over time due to exposure to the sun. It supplies a great depth of color and is pretty close to the natural walnut color. A dye was used as the first step that did not affect the look of the grain, a light coat of shellac on top of the dye was used to prevent the stain used in the third step that darkened the dye a little. The last step was the polyurethane to seal the color and provide a deep gloss.