|Project by Mikesawdust||posted 12-19-2015 11:38 PM||859 views||4 times favorited||8 comments|
Yes, 2014. The Auction item was a custom build of whatever the winner wanted, with me covering all costs of the build and the bid going straight to the EODWF. It took a while for the bidder to decide what she wanted, she
gave me some catalogue pictures of two cabinets and a description of what she wanted from each. It will be delivered Tuesday as a Christmas present and I hope she’s happy with the results. (BTW, the middle drawer is being laser engraved to personalize the piece, it will be back before delivery) The cabinet is made from Black walnut with Elm panels and drawer faces with square Ebony Plugs. I also used figured Mappa veneer on the three pull out trays. The knobs were purchased, pretty sure they are cherry but they were not identified on the packaging. The first step was the hardest, getting the wood. I special ordered it from our Base Woodworking Hobby shop (military base). All the local lumberyards were out of Elm and the only Walnut was grey, eventually (5 weeks later) I got in the wood. Then the prep started, all the wood was rough planks between 9 and 12 ft and up to 2.5 inches thick with natural edges. A long time prepping and roughing out the pieces. I then let it settle for a week and began final milling to size. The pieces stayed pretty straight between and it was just a matter of finding the right pieces for the visible areas, clear was not guaranteed and figure was touch and go. I built the two frame skeletons, one upper and one lower.
Next I book matched the Elm for all the panels, built and installed them.!https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nzmm0k2.jpg!
I used 1/2” ply for the rear panels but stained them dark and vacuum pressed Book matched Elm to the inside face. I then framed the Elm with walnut to imitate the other panels.!https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nzmmn3f.jpg!
My next step was covering all the screws with Ebony plugs and installing the apron on the base. I was challenged on the base because I was running low on Walnut, the faces are only 5/8 thick and the last two inches of each board was doubled, so the joint looks about 1 – 1/4” thick. I backed it up with corner braces and several braces along the front and back as stiffeners.
For the counter top on the lower cabinet, I decided to use framed Marble, being in Italy has its advantages. The Marble was cut from a single piece and grain matched across all three sections.
The cap on the top became a challenge when my last piece that was long enough fell off the saw, it had figure in the middle in the form of a large knot and of course broke in half. I was able to save it by backing it with a section of walnut and attaching it to the top plywood. This cap was the screwed straight to the frame and is securely held in place.
I made a frame to hold them and the drawers below from plywood and edged it with walnut. Each shelf only extends out about 7 inches but provides some extra working surface. I attached a ramp and stop to each shelf so they tighten and stop evenly with one another.
The drawers are plywood with walnut edging and Elm Faces. The two outside drawers are book matched to one another with the center drawer an even pattern that closely leads to the outside drawer pattern although the middle drawer is lighter colored. I also used the sliding dovetail material for runners, this was made for running in the center of a drawer on the bottom but I used it as side runners. I was really worried I had screwed up since any thing out of square and the drawers would rack and stick, but they work great.
The wine rack…...... (curse words deleted) I planned this in detail, drawing it to size on a board for the final plan. I made it again from 1/2” ply, cutting all the joints on the table saw. After building all the cross pieces and putting them together I had all the jagged edges to deal with. This was not too much of a problem for one side. I made a front and rear frame and used the table saw to cut away the extra until the frame sat tight and square, now I have a problem, how to get the other frame to line up… I ended up attaching a floating fence that would ride against the front frame of the rack (already installed) and guild the blade to cut 1/5” in from the opposite side. It was a scary cut that I new was going to end in a broken wine rack. I got luck and it worked great. I ten added walnut to the face and painted the plywood black. It slides in and can be slid out for cleaning
The walnut I did in a weave pattern by sanding an rounding the pieces to form a weave, very time consuming but looks good.