|Project by RexMcKinnon||posted 08-27-2009 04:26 PM||2168 views||4 times favorited||14 comments|
This is a bed I made for my daughter. One of the problems with my house is I do not have a guest room so I wanted to make a double bed for my daughter with a single bed under. I first thought about bunk beds but decided I did not like the idea. Now when family comes over they can sleep in the double bed and put their kids in the single below and my daughter get to camp out in mommy’s and daddy’s room in her portable Dora bed. The bed is air dried red oak I got from a saw mill. Between this project and my last project is when I discovered this site and others like TheWoodWhisperer. Seeing all this stuff really made me want to up my game. I did the design myself but subconciously I am sure I was inspired by someone else’s work. I am very happy with the outcome. There are some mistakes as I was trying to rush to get it done for christams 08 but when I realized it was not going to happen I slowed down and finally it was done in February 09. I know where the mistakes are and I think I will be able to avoid them in future projects so I leave room for new mistakes. Always have to leave room for improvement. ;-)
Purchased; Delta 6” jointer, Dewalt 13” planer, Ridgid belt/spindle sander, craftman 10” bandsaw, bunch of clamps. Space is a big issue for me so almost everything has to be benchtop. I first bought a craftman 6” benchtop jointer. Looked like a good machine but I stripped the thread in a scew hole in the fence, then I broke one of the cheap plastic handles for adjustments. No big deal, retap the threads and get a new handle. Did dome test cuts and saw the blades were off so I was about to adjust and I snapped off the first bolt trying to remove it. That was the last straw. I returned it and bought a delta floor model. The extra bed length makes a huge difference and the assebly and adjustments were easy.
Lots of firsts in this project; Milling raw wood, working with hardwood, 96 mortise and tenons (done with drill press and squared with chisel), finger joints, first major glueup… Almost everything was new.
Finish; 3 coats of shellac.
-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!