|Project by RobS||posted 07-25-2007 10:39 PM||2025 views||1 time favorited||15 comments|
I noticed this rickety, leaning table out in the garbage in the alley near my in-laws. I would not have given it a second glance if it wasn’t for the unique top, it was metal. Slightly rusted and not too thick (about a 16th of an inch), the top seemed to be holding its shape, which is more than I could say for the rest of the table. With much of the wood rotted, nails rusted and protruding, and non-existent cross bracing, the table could barely stand on its own 4 legs (See last picture). While I could understand the previous owner’s determination of worth, I could see some potential seeping from the wreckage and decided to stake a claim and rebuild.
I took it home, removed all the remaining nails, and determined which pieces could still be worth reincorporating into the project. I also decided what I could recycle from the shop; a couple of treated 2×4x8’s and some honey/wax treated, rough-sawn cedar from an old fallen owl box (see this other project for more details). With all that, I was able to reconstruct a 36” tall potting bench with a 17” x 60” metal top.
I added the shelf at the bottom to not only help with the stability but to provide some storing capabilities. To make the shelf, I determined just how much cedar I had and then did the math to determine how much space to place between the slats. The shelf supports are a ripped, treated 2×4 and a couple small pieces of the rescued wood. Next time I seal the deck, which should be soon, the bench will also get a coat as the treated wood is still a little wet.
So while the wife does re-pot plants occasionally, the name of the project really comes from all the rebuilding, reincorporation, recycling, reclaiming, and reconstruction that went on.
Thanks for looking and please return and review any time!
-- Rob (A) Waxahachie,TX