|Project by SPalm||posted 08-26-2009 03:09 PM||4384 views||25 times favorited||19 comments|
This looks to me like a rope running through the board.
I just had to try it. The entire cutting board is from one piece of walnut from my scrap bin. I took pics along the way to show how I did it.
Picture 2 shows the piece of walnut after the first rip. Note the sapwood on the left hand side, and the woodworker’s triangle to keep the pieces marked for location. The next couple of pics show how the pieces came together. I kept track of the original placement in the walnut so the grain would be the best match. Every other piece is alternated top to bottom, etc. Glue-up was a bugger. I built it up two rows at a time as the placement of the sapwood had to been unique for each row. I used a piece of marble as a flat reference.
Below is a small board put together with a few left over scraps. The wood on the side is cherry.
-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon