|Project by Billp||posted 08-26-2009 03:35 AM||15302 views||35 times favorited||13 comments|
Home made Drum Sander. Ever since I saw the sander LJ Blake made I knew I wanted to make one. I also looked a the one Ray Lanham made he was on wood central. I decided to make mine open so I drew up the cantilever top on sketch up and had it made at a machine shop. I used 1/8 ” sheet metal for strength so I would not get deflection. Use a 1 1/2 hp. motor, the machinest drilled the center hole in the wrong location so I had to add a spacer to make things work. I like blake’s Idea of using the disk but then I thought think I will cover it with sechedule 40 PVC. Then I wraped it with velcro so I can use hook & Loop. I am going to add a sanding disk at the end of the shaft about a 6”. If you read Blake s blog you pretty much have the build with my changes. I used Lape joints on the frame and used hard maple. I have about $200-275.00 into the build. The pulleys are 4” on both for a 1 to 1 ration 1725rpms. I am going to change the table so it will go up and down with acme screws and sprockets when I have more time. I got the motor used for $100.00 and the metal shop didn’t charge me anything because I help his mother in Law my next door neighbor all the time. This was a lot of fun. Thanks Blake for the insperation and also a big thanks to Ray Lanham.