|Project by TheDane||posted 08-26-2009 01:37 AM||3871 views||2 times favorited||12 comments|
Who would think a cupboard that is 18” wide, 24” high, and 3” deep would cost over a Grand?
This one did … sort of. The material for the cabinet itself only cost a few dollars (maple scraps from a millwork shop going-out-of-business sale, some plywood, a sheet of acrylic, about $3 for the hinges and knob, $8 for yardsticks, and some home-brew shellac). The rest of the cost was what you might call ‘collateral damage’ ($200 for material for a new workbench, $250 for workbench hardware and vises, $500 for a new jointer, etc. You need tools to build these things!).
Seriously, this was a fun little project that helped me learn a little about using hand tools. And it filled a real need for my wife’s sewing room. She has a growing collection of thread, and needed a way to organize it and make it convenient. Sewing is her hobby and she creates some really terrific handiwork (see picture of quilt with the creator).
Full disclosure: The design is not all mine. Some guy that advertises in sewing magazines sells a ‘pattern’ for about $10 … I put ‘pattern’ in quotes because there is no plan, drawings, etc. It is a just a narrative that directs you to basically nail some pine boards together. The one good thing in his ‘pattern’, and the only thing I used, is the mitered yardsticks used around the face frame.
-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"