|Project by PopsHuckster||posted 12-16-2015 10:13 PM||1001 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
Over the summer my neighbor began removing the old siding from the farmhouse and replacing it with the new cement siding. He ask me what wood I thought the old siding was and I could see by the back it was poplar. Most of what he had taken off was already on the burn pile so I didn’t get as much as I would have liked but did get 10 nice pieces. They range from 3/4 – 5/4” in thickness, 6-9’ in length and 7-8-1/2” wide.
Before Christmas my wife was looking for a stand up jewelry armoire. She couldn’t find anything taller than 40” and they all had small drawers all the way at the bottom that were really too low to be very useful. The double wing doors wouldn’t fit in the limited space she had either. The kids were starting to ask what to get her for Christmas and she hinted about a jewelry armoire… not knowing I had already designed one and was working on it out in the shop when she was in babysitting the grand kids. I had to tell them what I was making and they would have to find something else. During the talks, Mum had to be told I was in the process of making one too. That wasn’t a bad thing really because with her input I think I came up with the perfect design for her.
I planed down (3) 8’ boards to 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4” thickness and as close to 8” wide as possible with all the imperfections in the 100 year old siding. I did nothing with all the old rusty nail holes and cracks as long as they didn’t hurt the integrity of the boards. Till it was all said and done, I needed to plane down a few more 1/2 and 3/8 pieces to complete the door front and drawers.
Most all the cutting and gluing done but no finish or sanding yet.
Finding a small knob for the 2”, 3” and 6” drawers was not easy. Most suppliers wanted $5 for a pair and I needed 9 pulls. I wanted something about 3/8” around and maybe 5/8” protrusion because it’s door and the hanging necklaces that will hang there can’t be interfered with by the drawer pulls. I was just going to take some of the brass rod I had and turn them on the metal lathe when I found some bags of fan pull kits from PSI I had gotten in a bunch of stuff I bought from a buddy a year or so ago that quit the hobby for health reasons. Drilling a 3/8” hole in the drawer, adding a button top hole plug and drilling it for the chain pull brass end worked just fine.
Finished unit with 2 coats of sanding sealer. The base with the legs is 20” tall. I used 4 oak legs I had from an earlier project that never got that far. And the top main unit is another 30” tall. Just right for Mum.
I glued 1/8” thick foam and red satin on a 1/8” backer to line the drawers. One of the top 7 drawers will have a padded and slotted foam piece to put rings into also.
Yua’ll have a Very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday.