|Project by Kayvon||posted 12-13-2015 03:03 PM||814 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
This one started by thinking about carving a tree from a log. Something about irony, I don’t know. Then I thought lamp, I always wanted to make a lamp. I googled tree lamp and it turns out that Louis Comfort Tiffany came up with the idea more than 100 years before me. If you haven’t seen his Wisteria lamp, google it. It’s amazing. Oh well, not as original a thought as I had hoped.
I turned a walnut log with the centers centered perfectly at the pith. Turned it to a trumpet shape and then used a two foot long drill bit to drill a hole right through the center. The log had been drying in my garage for two or three years so it wasn’t really green. I let the trumpet end check and crack for a few days, marked each crack I could see with a black marker, and then drew the path that the “roots” could take by avoiding the cracks. No real artistic license, the log decided what it wanted to look like. I used a band saw, a dremel and power sanders for most of the carving. The roots are all end grain so it was a pain. You can see that the tips of several of the roots are the bark of the tree.
The base is turned from a maple burl. I turned it such that the root tips would contact the base while the center of the log would have a slight gap. I used threaded rod, and a little wood glue, to bring the two pieces together. Once the nuts on each end of the rod were tightened it all pulled together perfectly.
The finial is turned from African black wood. It started out about four inches tall but looked goofy so I kept trimming until it looked better, about an inch and a half.
Once the lamp was done I learned how to do stained glass. YouTube videos, some articles, and a nice lady at the stained glass shop who gave me some advice. I thought wood was tough to work with. Man, glass doesn’t give. There is no amount of clamping pressure that can close an ugly gap. Not to mention the problems with overcoming a too tight fit with a good whack with a hammer. No give at all. I made a segmented lamp shade form out of two by fours. The shade was assembled on that. Any botanical nerds out there might notice that the leaves on the shade are in fact walnut tree leaves. I found leaves on a tree in by back yard that were the right size and photocopied them. I used that for the leaf shapes. The blue glass was cut to fit, one piece at a time.
One piece of walnut, one piece of maple, one piece of black wood, 336 pieces of glass.
I really enjoyed this one. It took almost a year of an hour here and an hour there but it was good fun. I learned a new skill and got to buy a few new toys.