|Project by Teem||posted 1568 days ago||2253 views||2 times favorited||17 comments|
This is a late 50’s Craftsman 10” Floor Model Saw. I actually bought this off my brother, who got it from a friend’s dad. When he received it, it had significant rust damage to the table top, and essentially everything else. He cleaned all the rust off the top, cleaned the rip fence, and waxed the table. By the time I bought it, it was in the exact condition as he left it, as seen in one of the pictures. I used it multiple times, and it performed wonderfully. When I first started using it, I had no idea what run out was, or whether or not the blade was square to the table. After doing some research into how old the saw was, and how to properly align it, I managed to produce some passable tongue and groove joints. As summer approached, I decided it was time to give this beauty the overhaul it deserved.
I first started by removing everything off the saw, except the table. I then spent a good two weeks sanding, scraping, and eventually wire brushing all the old paint and rust off the sides. Thankfully, it was all surface rust, so the damage was minimal. After thoroughly cleaning the entire exterior, I wiped the whole thing down with mineral spirits. After this, I primed and painted the exterior. I don’t generally like red, but something about fire engine red is really appealing. That, and I realized it matched my Craftsman tool chest after I had painted it. Eh, go figure.
Once it was painted, I had a friend help me flip the whole table saw onto its top, so I could remove the entire arbor assembly. The whole thing broke down into essentially three parts, with the front and rear trunnions, and the massive arbor assembly itself. I removed all the parts that I could, scrubbed them with wire brushes, then doused the height and angle adjusters with WD-40. This removed all the built up grease and grime from it’s long life. After this, I remounted the assembly, flipped the saw back over, and started focusing on the top itself.
There was almost no rust, thanks to my brother’s previous work. However, I noticed some starting to develop along the table’s edge. I went over the whole top with 150 grit sand paper mounted on a backer pad with a corded drill, then went back over the top with 220 grit by hand. I wiped the whole thing down with mineral spirits again, and applied a generous coat of paste wax.
I threw everything back onto the saw, replacing the stock belt with a flat link belt (man that thing works wonders!). I also repainted the numbers on the angle scale by hand, as they were pretty faded. I’m done with the basic refurb, but I still have several upgrades to consider. I’d love to get my hands on a good miter gauge and rip fence, as the adjuster and track for the stock rip fence is shot. I’d also like to upgrade to a more powerful motor, and replace the power switch. That switch is on the top of my list, as hitting a tiny light switch while trying to hold a piece of wood on the table is ridiculously dangerous. I gotta thank my brother and friend for all their help and support through this whole endeavor.
-- Friday nights are for high stakes glue ups sucka!