|Project by CanadaJeff||posted 08-20-2009 01:29 AM||1307 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
I picked up the weather instruments from Lee Valley a while ago and have been keeping my eyes open for a piece of scrap wood that would be suitable to house them. Last week I found this piece of birds eye maple.
Being a cheap woodworker, I opted to not purchase a 2 1/2 Forstner bit to create the holes to house the instruments and decided to router the holes using a template circle. It worked, but I’m sure I would have a better fit if I just used the bit!
After that I used BLO to bring out the grain and applied my own wipe on poly to get a gloss sheen. I also put some wipe on poly on the back bark to stop it from peeling off. I had some issues with the wipe on poly, if you look very closely you can see a bit of a wavy pattern. According to Bob Flexner’s book its because of high humidity and realizing that I was using it in 80% plus humidity, I’m quickly realizing that Bob is a freaking genius when it comes to finishing!
I’ve decided to give this to my old man as a belated b-day present, this seems to be the kind of thing he would enjoy.
Critiques are more than welcome.