|Project by PhilBello||posted 12-06-2015 04:09 AM||907 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
Having recently completed a new Bed, I needed to make matching bedside tables, other than having to buy some 1” x 8” timber, I had enough left over from the bed project, so this did not cost much to complete.
I decided to make wooden drawer slides, I have a lot of mahogany scrap, so it made sense, and why waste money buying metal ones.
Things didn’t go entirely to plan, one of the drawer front rails moved by 1/8”, as I was installing it, and I did not notice until the glue had dried, since there was plenty of room for the drawers, and it would only affect the drawer face, I left it.
When it came to cutting the drawer faces, due to the discrepancy, I placed the timber in front of the opening, resting on the rail under each, and drew a line along the top, which I then subtracted a further 1/4” to give a 1/8” clearance top an bottom.
To cut these face plates on the table saw, I used my tapering jig, made from plans provided by John Heisz.
My other error, which was due to lack of concentration was putting one of the face plates on upside down, and I didn’t realise that, until I had published photos of it, you can see this on my Blog here, but 20 minutes the following day and that was rectified.
Like the Bed, this was finished in matt oak varnish, but this time I sprayed the table tops with three coats of lacquer to give more protection.
After a couple of days use, I was a bit worried about the drawers, when pushed in they were sometimes catching on the inside of the back legs, my idea was to replace the face plates with ones on the outside of the frame, so the drawers don’t go in so far, but after a week or so, we seem to have mastered this, and it is no longer a problem.
-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright