|Project by CaptainSkully||posted 08-15-2009 05:23 PM||4975 views||4 times favorited||4 comments|
I started this before the accident. It’s made out of the scrap wood from the night stand project. I hand cut half of the mortises and was getting frustrated. I vowed to finish it when I got my mortiser. The other half went very quickly. I used this project to learn about chip out. It’s not the nicest thing I’ve ever made, but the dog doesn’t seem to mind. I took a measurement from the dog and sketched it out on posterboard (still not using SketchUp). The finish is from a can of Mission Oak gel stain that I found at Woodcraft yesterday. I applied it to too large of an area and it dried, so I had to use more gel as a solvent. I’m pretty happy with the finish, especially since it’s one step. It has a hint of green to it that I’m not totally sold on. As a quick and dirty Stickley finish, it’s not bad.
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails