"Wine Barrel" lazy susan

  • Advertise with us
Project by dbockel2 posted 11-29-2015 02:48 PM 1050 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this one but it is growing on me and my wife is very happy with it (so perhaps that is all that matters!). What is funny is that, I am not sure how many things I actually did “right” but after-the-fact I know a couple of things I did “wrong”—mainly the finish—but I actually like the way the finish ended up…I also got to use a new tool (dado) that I have been wanting for a long time and some new techniques that could probably be improved upon but it was nice to add some new “skills” to my small but growing repertoire:)

So the wife found a real wine-barrel lazy susan on pinterest or something that was $100 but she asked me if I thought I could do it. I’m quite the rookie but I figured it couldn’t be that hard. Since I don’t have any wine barrels laying around I had to find a way to re-create the concept. So I just bought a couple of basic 1×6 boards at Home Depot—the finished kinds that are already square, an 8’ strip of 1×3, a 1/16” sheet of steel plate, some 1” twist nails and the lazy susan hardware. All in, I probably spent $20-25.

First I broke down the 1×6 into shorter, 20” segments and glued/clamped (is this what laminating means?) them together. Then I used a simple circle cutting jig with my router and cut out two circles (I think 10” and 18”)—one for the base and one for the main platter. Next I beveled the edge of the 1×3 strip at 45 degrees on my TS (I wanted to do a steeper angle but I couldn’t think of a cleaner way to do it (I think the bandsaw might be too tricky to fee through cleanly). Anyway, then I unpacked my dado and grooved out a 3/4” slot down the board about 1/3” deep.

The next part was the most interesting—individually cutting out little pieces to make a round edge for the lid. I tried to do the math on what angle I should do on the sides of each piece assuming they would be about 1” wide. At some point I realized that my math wasn’t consistent with the imprecise method of making the pieces. I set my TS to about a 3 degree angle and used a miter sled to cross cut individual pieces. However, I had to flip the board over with each incremental cut so as to keep the angles on both sides of each piece properly angled towards the center of the circle. Each block is roughly the same size but I eyeballed the cutting of them figuring that I would be able to get the outside the tightest fitting if I had some variable sizes (you can see there is one narrow piece that really makes the outer ring tight).

I glued and snapped each piece around the edge of the large circle. I did not have a large HVAC style ring clamp or anything that I could rig to work so I ended up using some tape just to hold it together knowing that the steel ring around the outside would keep things secure (though I still wish I had a ring clamp to make a cleaner joint).

Next I cut the steel plate into strips on my bandsaw. Honestly I wasn’t sure how this would work out but I couldn’t think of a better cutting method. The steel had to be thin enough to be quite pliable and fortunately my bandsaw chewed right through it. I had to use several strips because the sheet of steel was not available in a length that would make a full ring from one piece of steel. Then I used my drill press to punch holes roughly down the middle and roughly 1” or so apart. Again, not being totally precise thinking that less precision has a bit more authentic look to it. Then I put glue on one side of each steel strip and nailed my way around the ring with the twist nails—making sure to nail them into the lid so that they would tighten the whole steel ring around the center. To join the steel pieces to make it longer I just drilled holes at the very edge of a piece and nailed the two strips together.

Lastly on the finish—I totally messed it up but am OK with the end result. I stained it with a couple of coats of dark stain but didn’t like that the finish looked very flat. So I applied a few coats of tung oil (Not realizing that you aren’t supposed to mix it with a stained surface—and I am assuming the reason why is that the tung oil reacts with the stain and started taking it off (hence that lighter spot in the middle of the platter). Mounted the lazy susan hardware and that was that.

Sorry for being so long winded!

1 comment so far

View majuvla's profile


13211 posts in 3039 days

#1 posted 11-30-2015 12:14 PM

Excellent idea with barrel motive. It’s realy improved version of ordinary lazy susan projects.

-- Ivan, Croatia, Wooddicted

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics