|Project by Amoc||posted 11-24-2015 03:28 PM||639 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
Did you ever build a project that you really had no plans on? My wife and I after returning from a very nice 40th Wedding Aniversary Cruise found our 30 year old coffee table was not as we left it. Family was watching our house and I guess things must have got out of control! The rails on the old table had buckled from the top and the legs were listing at 15 degrees off from straight. At first thought no problem, I will take the top off, reinforce, and while I am at it resurface the top. Yea, that was the plan. First the legs on the old table were held on by a corner brackets that had a center wood screw that when tightned would force the leg to the rails – stripped wood screws and bent brackets. Then I started to resurface the table with a 80grit belt sander, didnt even get barely past the old poly surface when ate through the veneer. I guess one too many times resurfacing.
So after telling the wife that her coffee table was toast and knowing how disappointed she was, I decided to to build her a new one. The condition from her, it had to resemble the old one. So off to the box store to gather my wood and supplies. 10 – Red Oak Planks 3/4×8 x 10’s, 2 bottles of wood glue, box of #1 biscuits, sand paper, stain, and poly I had what I needed. After 4-week ends this is the result.
What differed from the old one is this one has 2 1/2” tennons and mortises instead of using brackets to hold the legs and rails on, and on the bottom of the table top had added some scrap 3/4 plywood that I glued and pinned nailed to the bottom to prevent issues that wood shrinkage can cause. This is one heavy solid wood table. The only metal in this table is the corner brackets I used in conjunction with wood reinforcements to hold the top to the frame, and added reinforcements to the legs.
I finished with Classic Oak Stain, then 3-coat of clear shellac that was soap water sanded with a green scrubby pad, 1 coat Dark Hickory gel-stain, 400 grit wet sanded to 3 coats clear satin poly. After the poly was dry I gave a rub down with steel wool and paste wax.
My wife loves it, so I am happy, but don’t want to do another one of these for a while.
-- Ken from Ft Hood, TX