|Project by DaleM||posted 08-08-2009 06:12 AM||34490 views||5 times favorited||14 comments|
I find it odd that the first guinea pig cage I have seen posted on here came only a couple of days before I was finished and ready to post mine. This one was for my wife’s friend. It’s 1/2 inch shy of 6 ft. long, 5 ft. high, and 2 1/2 ft. deep. It’s two pieces. I completed and delivered the top/cage piece months ago, but just finished the bottom/cabinet piece. It’s all pine, with luan panels on the bottom. The wire on the top was squares that were sold as a set to be made into storage cubes, but I cut the outside wire frame off, bent all the wires at a 90 degree angle, and inserted them into the wood frame (predrilled and glued each hole, ughh!) The top has a small door in the center, but the entire front is hinged on the bottom also to fold down with chains to stop it horizontal to the ground to slide out the coroplast tray onto the door for cleaning. The bottom is identical to the top except for luan instead of wire panels and two doors, and I added a small shelf in the middle, plus the top has a real table top of glued up 3/4 pine. I painted the inside cabinet pieces white for better illumination. All the latches, top and bottom, are identical and are actually sold as window latches, but I thought they would work well for a cage. This was a good practice in mortise and tenons. By my count, there are 120 m&t joints. I cut two tenons with a handsaw, about a dozen with the bandsaw, and the rest with the router. This was an enjoyable project to build. I’m definitely open to criticism, good or bad.
-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY