|Project by Pooka||posted 11-22-2015 03:56 PM||722 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
My mom picked a nativity set up at an antique store. It was made in 1986 and pretty much appeared to be thrown together with some nails and glue (picture #2). It was pretty plain with a smooth white back wall, some posts to hold up the ripped-shingle roof. Mess of sawdust and shavings for the floor. Not too attractive. I think she bought the thing because the pieces that came with it were cool.
So she gave the stable to me to “do something about it.” After toying around with just touch-up stuff like restoring the failing joinery and making the wall look a little more stable-ish, I gave up. The mess sat in the garage for months.
I wanted to get it figured out and returned to her by Thanksgiving so she could have the set up for Christmas decoration time. I bit the bullet this month and ripped the thing apart. I saved the back wall for the structural part, made a new floor, frame, roof and then detailed it. The “rocks” are all wood blocks I made, rusticated and then glued in. The slats on the roof and back wall are the original shingles from the roof. Everything is solid. The floor is a fresh layer of sawdust from the project itself. The thatched roof is pine-needles, trimmed and laid with glue. The aged look is the tried-and-true vinegar+steel wool treatment. Fence is hand-split and glued on as well.
I think she’ll like her upgrade.
-- Slice, whack, smack, bang bang, sploosh, scrape, done.