|Project by Dave G||posted 11-21-2015 11:27 AM||1153 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
I completed my annual project of adding to my Maloof inspired dining room chair set. The first photo shows this year’s contribution. In the background on the floor is the single one I’ve already made. So we’re up to three total now. All three are hard maple to match the table http://lumberjocks.com/projects/77208.
I used the Charles Brock pattern for these. The main reason I picked this pattern is that the low design slides under the table out of the way and really fits into our tiny NE dining room.
There is wood for this year’s chairs in my rack, already acclimatized. The next set will be one of hickory and one of cherry. Maybe I’ll stop at 5 though it would be cool to make one of walnut.
The first chair took about 55 hours. These two took 65 hours total so I’m down to 33 hours. Besides less time standing around thinking about dimensions and next steps I got a whole lot faster at wielding the Festool grinder. It makes me think of a story I heard about a guy that could carve a Lincoln penny head into a log with the tip of his chainsaw.
The finish is Watco Natural followed by three coats hand wiped Minwax satin poly.
-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff