|Project by Mauritius||posted 08-07-2009 02:02 AM||2520 views||30 times favorited||14 comments|
Finished these guys two days ago. One was given to my dad for his birthday, the other I’m keeping. Since these involved a lot of new techniques for me, I did everything on my box first in the event of a mishap (and there were a few) so that I’d make sure my dad’s turned out alright. They measure 12” square, the area to the right of the box is meant as a cell phone charging station, the drawer slides out to reveal a little “hidden” section. The joinery should be fairly obvious from the pictures, the hinges were the only metal used.
My dad’s box is made of zebrawood, walnut and maple. My box is made of cherry, leopardwood, ash with a bit of maple and purple heart in the lid. First time working with zebrawood, and I will say that it was a pain. The grain runs in two directions on all the boards I have which lead to an excessive amount of sanding, and it tends to chip easily which made cutting the miters an exercise in patience. It sure did finish nicely though! I even managed to match the grain on two of the corners.
The inside of the box is flocked, and the rest was finished with a few coats of danish oil (thanks to all who gave advice in my earlier forum post). I ended up adding a coat of wax at the last minute which I think was a good idea.