|Project by dshookowsky||posted 11-17-2015 08:16 PM||555 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
This is a banjolele that I made with cherry and birdseye maple. Each segment was cut at 22.5 degrees – 16 segments assembled to make a ring. I used a very large hose clamp to hold the segments together and kerfed the joints with a Japanese pull saw until everything came together tightly.
The assembled rings were glued together and then needed to be trued. I don’t have a lathe, so I cut circles on the bandsaw and glued them to the outside of the banjo rim with sheets of paper in between. This assembly was then turned on a dowel vertically and horizontally against a table-mounted router.
I purchased the neck, but it was a bit short for the scale of a banjole – I extended the heel with a block of mahogany and blended it together with the spindle sander and sandpaper. Finish is just tung oil and paste wax.