|Project by Tappar||posted 11-16-2015 08:19 PM||527 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
Click here for the video:
I got this slab of walnut quite a while back, I knew it was pretty but wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it. Eventually I settled on making a small table out of it, but it kept sitting while I was trying to figure out how to attach the legs. The vision in my head was always a rustic look with some half barky legs stuck on the bottom with a minimalist look. Screws were out, the top was far too thin, and they weren’t the kind of ‘rustic’ I was going for. for strength I had thought about bringing the legs up through the table with a mortise/tenon type joint however for this one I really wanted to keep any distraction off the top of the table. Just a glue joint on end grain wouldn’t be strong enough so I settled on dowels. After I tested the first leg this felt very sturdy, but as a just in case measure I also added spreaders to the legs to triangulate it a bit.
For the finish I kept it pretty simple. I have been doing high gloss overload/epoxy on everything lately so I wanted to do something a little different. I just did a simple spray on semi gloss polyurethane. It soaked up a whole can due to the end grain with light shadings in between. I do really prefer the spray to brushing on finishes, I suppose I am just more comfortable with them with my automotive background but my results tend to be inconsistent and require a lot more sanding with a brush. There is something about the feel of this finish that really suits the project, it has a great handfeel and it just really inviting and almost soft to the touch.
Thanks for checking this out! I usually put about a video a week out on my channel and have a few build up on there if you have any interest in subscribing :)