|Project by dbkmd||posted 11-16-2015 05:52 PM||518 views||3 times favorited||1 comment|
I was recently cleaning up some things and discovered a watercolor of a duck that I had put away for “safe” storage. A friend had done it years ago and I had purchased it at a charity auction and stored it until I could find time to deal with it. It was matted but needed a frame and I was (briefly) between projects, so I headed off to the shop.
I ended up with this item. The frame is mostly weathered wood from a 150+ year-old barn that we tore down on our farm a few years ago (sadly, it was already collapsing). I added a sanded and lacquered mahogany accent bar that picked up some of the colors of the duck and gave the whole thing an interesting contrast of textures. Another subtle note is that the middle portion of the frame is thicker and holds the edges away from the wall a bit, giving the whole thing sense of floating away from the wall.
That was fun! Now I’m off to look for more art treasures in my storage areas – and some more wall space.