|Project by bhacksaw||posted 11-11-2015 11:22 PM||2051 views||12 times favorited||12 comments|
I can finally post these pics now that the wedding has come and I’ve given them to the newlyweds. Second pic is an ink drawing of a conceptual city block done by the groom while he was in high school. When I saw it last year, I immediately knew what to get them for their wedding. This execution is inspired by a video for “drinks mats” (silly brits!) that I had seen from Alex Harris at ThisWoodwork (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-430x85czU).
Five types of wood were used in this project:
The pieces were shaped on the tablesaw using a plywood sacrifical zero clearance base for the more intricate cuts. The glue-up was pretty hectic. I didn’t expect it to take as long as it did, next time (if!) I’ll use a glue with a longer open time like Titebond III. Probably should have used it anyway since that’s waterproof. The assembled and glued block came to about 4×4x3. I only had a sanding disc on my tablesaw which gave me < 3” of face to sand on. Somehow, it came out flat on all sides, all 90 degree corners. I’ll chalk that up mostly to luck.
I then wrapped it in mitered Zebrawood sides and rounded over those corners. Then, I sliced it up like a loaf of bread on my tablesaw, using a resawing, end-over-end type of cutting method. I sanded and card-scraped. I finished it off with a few coats of Polycrylic. I’ve heard that Polycrylic is not good for this application, but i’ve also heard just as many times that it’s fine. (PS – I’ve come to learn that looking for woodworking advice is the same as baby advice. You’ll find just as many people saying to let your baby cry it out as you will saying to let your baby sleep in bed with you. And each has adamant objections to the other.)