|Project by Peteyb||posted 11-08-2015 12:55 AM||1249 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
Built in Cabinets that I built at the request of the wife. She wanted them to put all the tv equipment and to store the boys toys out of site. I had to build two different cabinets as the two spots left and right of the fire place where not the same.
4th picture is what it looked like before I started. 3rd one of the cabinets without a top and no paint. 2nd is got both of the cabinets installed in place with out doors. 1st of the completed cabinets with the doors on and wife is already filling them up.
I built the carcass of the cabinets out of birch 3/4” plywood with Maple face frame and maple doors. I used maple as it was easy to come by and paints well which she wanted. I built all the doors with my router table and this was the first time doing that. I am glad that I bought the Woodpecker Coping sled. This made making the rails for the project much easier.
Now to the finish. Wife wanted it to match the fire place and trim which is a SW Latex. I did not want any brush strokes so set out to spray this with my earlex 5500 sprayer. I came by this forum, http://lumberjocks.com/topics/61055, on the website that I read and wanted to try as last time that I did this did not get the best results. Let me tell you the part that I was missing was stirring it with the drill paddle. I used two coats of Zinseers primer thinning 6 oz water and 2 oz of flotrol. Sanded between each coat. Then put 3 coats of SW thinning it this time 4 oz and 4 oz of flotrol, again using the drill paddle to mix and this came out the best. Last step was 3 coats of General Finish High Performance water based poly. I am very happy with the finished product.
Now knowing how to finish this way I can see many more projects for my wife coming as she really approves also.