|Project by mot||posted 07-13-2007 09:03 PM||2502 views||0 times favorited||40 comments|
I turned this little bowl about a week ago. I brought it up from the shop and my daughter says, “It’s nice. Is that going to be it’s final shape?” She’s learning from her mother. So I rechuck it and come up with this. It’s maple burl, finished with Watco Danish Oil and buffed with tripoli, white diamond and carnuba.
The picture shows something that looks like a concentric sanding mark. I can’t see it on the bowl no matter how hard I look so maybe an artifact from the picture? Who knows.
It was turned starting with a woodworm screw in a SN2 chuck to turn the bottom. I used an Elleseworth Signature Bowl Gouge for the bottom. I used a recess and put it in some expanding jaws in the SN2 chuck and used the Proform straight hollower to auger out the bowl. I can talk enough about that tool. It makes short work of hollowing. It’s almost like cheating. I used a heavy curved scraper for the final cuts inside the bowl as the profile is too hard to do a shear scrape with a gouge. It’s sanded to 240 inside. I rechucked the mouth in the expanding chuck and with the tailstock in place, I turned the bottom slightly concave and added the bottom bead with a small detail gouge.
Thanks for looking!
-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)