|Project by Minnersota||posted 07-23-2009 10:02 PM||2928 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
This is what I consider my first “real” woodworking project. I started my tool collection about 4-5 years ago, but really hadn’t made anything other than a few shop jigs before this.
Basically, it’s a queen size headboard based on a (PlansNow) design that included a full bed frame. I didn’t know if I wanted to spend enough for the lumber to make the whole bed, considering my lack of experience.
Legs are 3” square, interior sections are rabbetted into a tongue and groove system and secured between the top header and center horizontal. A small chamfer on the edge of each panel gives a little depth for the lines.
Finish is Transtint Vintage Maple in a base of alcohol (But I learned a lot about finishing on this one!, with several “do-overs”). 3 Coats of Polyurethane finished it off.
I still see things I wish I would have done differently, but overall I’m happy with it as a beginner project.