|Project by Andy||posted 10-30-2015 02:38 PM||2670 views||16 times favorited||52 comments|
Panel- I found this wonderful piece of Ziricote and just had to buy it. The scene of rolling valleys and the sun breaking over the hills was immediately apparent to me, so I played around with several box designs trying to find the best way to showcase it. (The board was about 1” thick x 4” w x 40” tall and cost $85, but I will get several panels out of it, so the cost per box isn’t too bad.)
Body- Wenge. This was a bit nerve racking. I made the box, added the corner splines, fitted the lid, and was about to finish it …...but then decided that the contrast between the Wenge and Ziricote just wasn’t strong enough.
So I started up the Foredom and began grinding divots and grooves, set fire to it with a torch, and wire brushed it. After it was somewhat “smooth” I dyed it with India Ink. I have done this before but not on a high-end piece like this…I was worried about getting back a low-end piece. Then I went back and sanded the black dye off of the corner splines.
Base- I designed this style of base several years ago and use it on occasion to lend a more regal look to a box. I dont think every box benefits from it, plus it adds a lot of time to make…much fitting and tedious sanding involved.
Handle- My first time using Gaboon Ebony. Wow! Nice to work with, like cutting an acrylic, it sands very nice too. I cut the blank oversized and then cut it into 5 pieces and set a piece of Snakewood in the center and reassembled it all, then cut it to the finished size. I added these brass mosaics for accent. I use to cut a mortise and tenon to mount my handles but now I use CA. I have tested how well it holds….dont worry…it is a bear to get a handle off if you ever need to. Open grain or soft woods need to be sealed with CA first or it all soaks in and the hold is iffy.
Front Panel-I used another piece of the Ziricote for the front panel to accent, or compliment the lid. A recess was routed out and then the edges of the panel were given a small radius. I cut my panels with square corners and then hand sand the corner radius to fit one at a time… I feel that a router/template is too time consuming to fiddle with and too easy to chip off the edges.
Dividers- This was time consuming, mostly kicking around design ideas, looking for one that would pick up the box elements, but still softened things up a little. The center tray was a pain, it had to be hand fitted to get the arcs the conform to the side trays, this holds it all in place but still allows for everything to be popped out easily. Fiddle back maple, Paduak, and Wenge without the dye and then added a few medallions and accent metals.
Black Velvet…the fabric…not the booze.
Thanks for looking.
-- If I can do it, so can you.