|Project by Tim Dorcas||posted 07-22-2009 09:04 AM||1636 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
Knowing my penchant for interesting artwork, my wife brought back this very cool picture that was made with butterfly wings. While it took awhile to get to it, I finally made a frame for it. I should add that this is the second frame I made. The first one was in the same style but used Roasted Tiger Maple. In the first frame, the everything shifted during glue up which I was never able to recover from (what a waste of really nice wood…). In this one, I used a pin nailer and clamps to make sure nothing moved.
While this is a relatively simple project I am trying to focus more on craftsmanship to make sure everything fits together nicely. This is one of the few projects my wife really seems to like. Despite my best efforts the photo really doesn’t due justice to the color or texture of the wood. The edges are ebonized maple. I use a water based black stain mixed with India black ink. The finish is a spray on lacquer.
-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.