|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 10-28-2015 08:12 PM||886 views||0 times favorited||17 comments|
This is a project that began as one of three cabinets that I made for my wife to paint years ago. She painted a design on 2 of them and I put on doors with a wire front and they were for displaying craft items or stuff like that.
Well this one was in her craft room and she was going to discard it and I thought, some of our birds need a good home so I put in a floor under the top hole and then put on a cedar front for compartments on each of the other 3 shelves. I drilled in vent holes on the top of each compartment and drain holes out the sides for each level. Can’t have the birds peeing on their neighbors below!!
I formed up some aluminum flashing for a roof and put the pieces on with silicon adhesive. Being out in the weather, this should preserve the roof. It is finished with 2 coats of some left over Benjamin Moore latex house paint. I left the cedar unfinished because I thought it might be friendlier to the birds being natural like that.
I have to make some brackets for fastening to a pole in the back yard. The front is screwed on so it can be cleaned out periodically.
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!