LumberJocks

Cherry headboard

  • Advertise with us
Project by MyChipCarving posted 10-28-2015 06:16 PM 601 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

Cherry Headboard
54” x 54”
Shellac sealer followed by tung oil

The main challenges I faced with this headboard was to be sure the boards were flat during glue up. I glued up in three phases to make it easier to control. Also, I needed to allow for wood movement when fastening the boards to the uprights. I did this by elongating the holes where they met the boards. I included a photo of the long bit I needed to drill through the uprights. When it came time to screw the uprights to the boards I needed a long punch to mark each hole. I sharpened the butt end of the long drill bit to take care of this need.
I decided to fasten the headboard to the wall using a french cleat as shown in the last photo.
I’m pleased with the finished product and think my friends, who asked me to make this for them, will be pleased as well.
Thanks for looking!
Marty

-- Marty, https://www.MyChipCarving.com, 866-444-6996





1 comment so far

View helluvawreck's profile (online now)

helluvawreck

23212 posts in 2334 days


#1 posted 10-28-2015 08:04 PM

Nicely done, Marty. Congratulations.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com