|Project by Paul||posted 10-27-2015 03:30 PM||1057 views||8 times favorited||2 comments|
I needed a new computer desk, as the one I was using was still the one from college (like 25 years ago), and it was the cheapest thing I could find back then. I had no room for laying out papers, and designs, so it was time to make a larger desk.
I drew up the design on sketchup that matched some other furniture I’ve made before. I made it plenty large, as it’s 66” wide, 30” deep, and 28 3/4” tall. (That should be standard size of executive desks).
Originally the design was one solid desk, but I quickly realized I wouldn’t be able to get it into the room I wanted to, so I had to make it modular. I ended up using some cam/lock type modular furniture fasteners for the back piece and a front trim piece. Also, the table top has inserts in the bottom, so I can quickly screw it in place with some bolts as needed.
I used up as much scrap oak pieces I had in the shop, as well as scrap plywood. The table top I just glued a 3/4” piece of plywood to a 1/4” piece. Then trimmed the edges out. The drawers are made of pine on the inside, and then an oak plywood face trimmed out with oak beading.
Using up scraps like this made it challenging to match grains and woods, but with some planning, I made sure the drawers were similar, legs were similar, etc. In the end it added a little character I think.
The drawer slides, I had some spare ones from other projects that were 18” in length. I made the drawers 22” in length, but the smaller slides are working just fine. Just a few inches of the drawer don’t come out, but I can still easily reach inside.
One application of stain, and then three coats of General Satin Poly finish wiped on. I sanded between coats, and then used wool lube to rub out the final coat. It turned out nice and smooth.
So, now I have plenty of room to put papers and other items! And it was a great project to build both on sketchup and in the shop. Maybe the next project will be a hutch for the top…
-- Paul, Iowa