|Project by TMH||posted 10-27-2015 12:28 AM||838 views||7 times favorited||10 comments|
This is my latest variation of the Arts and Crafts Lamp as seem in my original Project Post http://lumberjocks.com/projects/139721. The base lamp is identical to that in Project 139721, the shade is identical in size, and uses Amber Mica in the panels, but it is 3/4” copper angle instead of 3/4” QSWO.
I came across a picture of an antique A & C Oil lamp with a copper shade that looked very similar to the shade I was making with QSWO. With a little thought I decided I could duplicate my wooden shade with a shade made the same dimension using copper angle. I purchased a 24” brake from CL for $50 and found the 24 gage copper sheets on EBay. The vendor cut the 18’ X 12” sheets into 8, 1.5” X 18” strips which provided a clean cut. An 18” X 12” copper sheet, cut and shipped was around $22. (cutting and shipping was free) More info available if interested.
Photo 4 above is my prototype made of 28 gage steel and sheet metal screws. Photo 5 displays the templates and jig I made to cut, hold, and drill the rivet holes into the stiles, rails and Mica Panels for the shade. The jig is an actual wooden frame section made of off-cut test pieces. The templates used for shaping the copper pieces are in the center, bottom and right side of the jig. The length of the top rail is 3 13/16”, the bottom rail is 17” and the stiles are 11 1/16”, (+ 1/4”for overhang), the same lengths as the wooden shade. The templates are 1.5” wide to match the 1.5” copper strips which are then bent in the center to form ¾” angles. The pieces to the left of the jig are bending jigs to shape the shade stiles to 135 Deg after rough bending with the brake. The top and bottom rails are bent to 90 Deg to form the same shape, size and proportion of a wooden shade with the same 67.5 Deg angle that is beveled into the wooden stiles. (The actual angles are listed in photo 5). All the cut pieces are filed smooth with a fine mill and 180 grit paper. They are also size matched at this time.
I apologize if this sounds confusing, you can see this a little in photos 3 and 6 but I did not get a good picture of this. Trust me, this is easier than I am describing or then it looks. You have to switch your thoughts from square pieces of wood to open angle pieces. There are more details about shade angles and construction in Project Post 139721 that may (or not) help clarify this.
The Mica panels are an integral part of the construction of the shade and are riveted in place to provide overall support and structure. 5/16” x 1/8” Brass Plated split rivets are used with a 1/8” buck-up washer. Both found Online with more info available if interested.
I choose a brushed finish for this shade as opposed to polished copper just because, but a polished finish is not out of the question.
My plan is to use this copper shade in a new lamp design I am going to prototype this winter. The lamp will have copper plates incorporated into the column made of QSWO. The design is in my head but I can’t get to the shop to release it right now so this shade will reside on an original lamp. I also have some assembly issues to resolve in how parts are secured before/during riveting. It is somewhat like an old Erector Set but with a purpose.
I am quite pleased with my first copper shade and will expand on this technique. Again, I apologize for any confusing description, as I have made 16 of these shades in wood, so the dimensions, angles and construction is second nature for me and I am finding it difficult relate this new shade technique without trying to describe every minute detail.
Thanks for reading; I will answer any questions that you have.
-- Theo's Grandpa Woodworking