|Project by kimosawboy||posted 10-25-2015 11:39 PM||832 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
Live edge Mantle
Overall measurements are 72”x16”x a shy 2”
This mantle was a fair bit of work. The client wanted Live edge, lots of Character, and inlays if possible(butterfly’s)
This was a first for me, using technology to let my client see the wood and pick it out. I get most of my maple from a place 2hours away. This past trip I was able to take pics and sent them to my client so she could decide on the wood( I was just the sorter). Where I live a smart phone is useless because of the reception but I finally upgraded my phone to something that at least is in this decade and I’m able to message people! It was fun to do and also took a lot of weight of my shoulder as the client is picking the wood and not me.
Here is in the raw shot
My first bit of work was removing the soft areas of the underside, once I was able to get too good wood was able to flip it over and install the ‘butterflies’ to secure the end. A total of six butterlies went in (four of those were needed and the other two for cosmetics.)
Next up was the bottom. For this I had in mind using my die grinder and ‘dabbing’ little round holes thru out the bottom area. I had no idea it would take heaps of time but I really liked how it turned out. Here is a in the work in progress pic
After finishing the bottom I got to work on the hanger, basically 1.5” flat stock that I welded spears(my wife’s word) onto. Since the client did not mind metal I figured that by showing some of the ‘spears’ it would look good.
Ended up finishing it with a home concoction of a satin wipe on poly , I ended up putting about 8 coats on.
Just a few more pics