|Project by drewpy||posted 10-25-2015 01:37 AM||1519 views||8 times favorited||9 comments|
The weather has been nice here in Ohio so I thought I would try one more project before I closed up shop/garage for the winter. I had a desk clock that I received from work back in 2002 for a project I was involved with. It has been sitting around in the closet for many years and have always thought about doing something with it so this is what I came up with. I just popped the clock mechanism out and was on my way.
It’s made from ribbon sapele and curly maple. It measures 9L X 2w X 6 1/2h.
The finish is 3 coats of danish oil and two coats of arm-r-seal. The curl in that maple shows up nice but I really struggled to capture this in the pictures.
The clock insert is just a tight fit with the original o-ring holding it in. I just use the small suction cup that came with it to take it out and change the time and/or batteries.
I drew up several different designs and kept gravitating towards a diamond main housing. The bottom left and right designs are pretty much copies of ones I saw browsing around. I’ve never used sketch up before but always hear you all mention it so I thought I would give it a whirl. I wanted to get a 3D image of the ones I liked most. I realized it was going to take a fair amount of time to learn and didn’t know how long the nice weather would last so I pretty much quit. Just about then I read that you could insert a one dimensional image into sketch-up and then drag/expand parts to get a 3D image. It was quick and helped me learn at least a small portion of sketch-up.
This is what I watched to learn to make an inserted image 3D.
My new winter projects will be improving my photography and sketch-up skills!!!
-- Drew in Ohio -- "The greatest wealth is health".