|Project by scrappy||posted 07-17-2009 08:37 AM||1862 views||3 times favorited||9 comments|
Here are some more of my “Practice” pieces I have done this week. Just trying to get the hang of the lathe and tools. Trying different shapes and sizes. Even tried some hollowing ( bowl tops ) on the mushrooms.
Pic #2 is a Christmass Ornament that is made from Zebra wood. Got a 6×6x1 1/2 piece out of the cut off bin because it had a big crack running through it. That is why this is small. (avoiding the crack) Hangs about 3 inches long x 1 1/2 diameter.
Pic #3 is a Pull Chain Fob for a ceiling fan for a freind. Stacked some Walnut and Birch from pallets. About 7 inch long x 1 1/2 diam.
Pic # 4 is a group of mushrooms that I wanted to try something I saw on a turning site. Used a GREEN Branch ( cut off tree that day) and no finnish. Left rough for texture. Now I am waiting to see if they deform like the tutorial said. The center one is starting to lean to one side. Found out Green wood is a LOT easier to turn. Pealed nice long stirps with the gouges. Had to be very gentle though. This wood was soo soft that if I pushed a litle too hard with the gouge, it would “deflect” out of the center line, and not cut. Wood is Palo Verde tree.
Pic # 5 and # 6 are of a Large Mushroom Candle holder. Wood is Aeromatic cedar. I really like the shape of this one. Made it a natural as I could. Also left it unfinnished just for the oder. Ran the grain accross the piece this time just to try something different. It seems to be getting easier to turn the insides of these. It is awfull hard to get inside of the mushrood cap. Evan harder with haveing to use the tail stock and live center. Still haven’t gotten a turning plate or chuck for the lathe. and my tool rest is 8 inches long. Getting close on small stuff has been a challenge.
In the first pic, the 2 mushrooms on the left are both turned from a piece of old dried (I think) oak. It is used in shipping the trucks to my work. They have some interesting cracks in them that did not show up untill they were mostly turned. The wood in cracked all over but the cracks were worse inside. Two of these exploded while turning. Thank God I got my a face sheild before I started turning anything! One is unfinnished so far, the other has a couple of coats of Tung Oil/ Varnish.
For now I am still just playing around and getting used to the tools. Will be makeing more stuff like this to give as gifts. Mainly candle holders and Christmass ornaments. One day soon I hope to get a turning plate attachment so I can try bowls.
Thank you all for viewing.
Please leave ALL comments and Mostly critiques. I am just learning and realy would like your honest oppinions about how I am doing and what I can do to improve/make things easier.(techniques/ tricks/ etc..)
-- Scrap Wood's the best...the projects are smaller, and so is the mess!