|Project by firefighterontheside||posted 10-23-2015 09:27 PM||1499 views||1 time favorited||24 comments|
This is a dresser that I made for my boys. It is also the first dresser that I have built. The biggest challenge was figuring out the structure to mount all the drawer slides on. My next dresser should be easier now that I know what to do and what not to do.
This is made from black walnut and spalted hackberry. The hackberry I got from LJ gfadvm and some of the walnut was sawn on his mill. I wanted to use all low odor, quick drying products so I could get it in their room quickly. I used Zinsser seal coat(dewaxed shellac) tinted with transtint amber to add some color to the hackberry and make the walnut glow a bit more. Then there are three coats of Minwax polycrylic. Everything was sprayed with my Earlex spray station. The end panels are book matched and each row of drawer fronts is made from the same plank so the grain lines up. This was my first book matched thing ever.
The drawer pulls are Duplo Legos. I made up some pieces of walnut that fit inside the ends of the blocks and glued them in. They are then screwed thru the drawer fronts. When the boys outgrow legos(maybe never) I will make some pulls out of walnut. I was pleasantly surprised and they look better than I thought they would.
Thanks for looking.
-- Bill M. "People change, walnut doesn't" by Gene.