|Project by Will Mego||posted 07-15-2009 09:39 PM||3288 views||0 times favorited||15 comments|
So after hammering away at a mortise a minute ago, it occured to me I haven’t posted my mallet.
I took a mulberry log, which is on of my fav woods these days, from a fallen tree last spring, and cut a section of it out. Mulberry is surprisingly stable and resistant to rot and impact. Also tough to saw through. Pics 2 shows the log, and 3 the wedge. I ended up using a power tool in this project, a drill, to bore a hole through the chunk, after I had squared off the sides with a drawknife and planes. The handle I made with hand tools out of some unknown chunk from somebody’s rotten pile of firewood, which I was throwing into the compost, and noticed this interesting and stable piece of wood. I actually had two pieces, the other became my froe mallet. This I shaped roughly to my handaxe pattern. I tried a poly glue on this project, and probably paid the price for it when the handle twisted slightly when driving it home. Of course, the glue is like steel…it’s there for life. Pic 4 shows it completed the next day…notice the yellow circle of heartwood in that shot. Pic 5 shows the final mallet several weeks later, and yes, while it has had some tung oil and wax to protect it, 90% of that color is the wonderful thing exposure to UV does to mulberry wood! That golden colored circle has become a deep, rich gold/brown, and really the only color added by the tung oil is seen on the sides of the mallet.
The mallet is pretty big, about 2-3 times the face size of a “normal” mallet used with a chisel. It’s also very heavy, coming in well over 5-6 lbs. It’s tiring for most people to wield, but I like it’s heft, and I certainly won’t miss the blow with that face size.
-- "That which has in itself the greatest use, possesses the greatest beauty." - http://www.willmego.com/