|Project by TimF||posted 07-15-2009 01:59 AM||3064 views||2 times favorited||7 comments|
This is a mission style head and foot board. My wife made me make it. She’s in the photo. She could not understand why she has such a nice dresser ( the highboy ) but we don’t have a head and foot board. The original plans called for slats to be squared off. It’s not that much harder for them to be rounded over and fit into the openings. I used cherry on this. This is a lot of wood and a lot of it will be wasted. To do this you need 2 routers, planer, bandsaw, table saw and a good dust collection set up. Hey guys if I didn’t build this I would be posting photos of the pie crust table. I’m the boss…..........But I guess she is the one in charge. And also, my wife loves browsing the photos of the other projects that are posted here.
Add on. The finish is reduced lint seed oil 1/4 mineral spirits 3/4 lint seed oil. After that it needs to sit for a while. That is what I did. BUT if I had my way it would have gotten about 10 coats of shellac and waxed also.
Add on 2. The slat holes aren’t motised the upper and lower cross pieces are lamenated together. I used 2 routers to plow out the material. With the pieces clamped side-by-side. One with a straight cutting bit and the other had a bull nose bit. There was a jig also