|Project by VillageWood||posted 07-12-2009 03:17 AM||1995 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
Right off the bat, apologies for the single not-so-clear pic.
After building the lingerie/jewelry chest for my wife’s friend, I wanted to try my hand at designing something from scratch. My sister-in-law was setting up in a new apartment and asked me to make some end tables for beside her couch. She was on limited funds and it had to be cheap. Cheaper than Ikea. Thanks sis! She also had some size restrictions and it had to be close to the colour of the coffee table one of her friends gave her. Well, this is my sister-in-law, so I decided to donate my time and only charge her lumber. Good thing too, as I was designing this from scratch, it took a lot of time.
I hadn’t done any mortise and tenon joinery since I don’t remember when, so I decided to use strictly dowels throughout. In retrospect, this was a bad idea as mortise and tenon would have been MUCH faster, but hindsight being 20/20… The whole thing was built out of 4/4 pine and not top quality pine either. The two tables took the 4 best pine boards of 1×9x96 that I could find at my lumber store for a total of $25. These were knotty so I incorporated the knots as much as possible as visual elements. I encountered some splotching but was able to minimize it by sanding all the way up to 400-grit before staining. As I didn’t have a dowelling jig, I had to make do with whatever was around to hand drill the dowel holes so they lined up properly. I also decided to use through dowelling with the ends of the dowels showing for added interest. It turned out great and she loved the tables. So much so that I only had time to snap this one pic before she rushed off with them… and the was cat constantly trying to be part of the pic and shedding all over the place. I’ll try to get better pics from her place on my next visit.
I will make more of these as I like simple lines, but will mortise and tenon future attemps, and add “show” square dowels of a brighter wood after the fact. One plus of this project is it allowed me to explore different mixes of home-made wiping varnishes, and I manager to get just the smooth finish I wanted.