|Project by schugi||posted 10-15-2015 08:40 AM||1130 views||10 times favorited||8 comments|
Saw a picture of Carole Rothman’s yarn bowl on the internets and knew I had to make some for the knitters in the family. Tracked down Scrollsaw magazine issue #55 for the plans and off I went.
The first bowl is poplar with peruvian walnut accents. The second is peruvian walnut with an aspen & padauk base. Should have went with something harder than the aspen, because the padauk really wanted to stain it. The last bowl is baltic birch plywood with more of the peruvian walnut accents.
I epoxied a whole bunch of bb’s in the base to keep them from tipping over when the yarn is pulled out.
The two lighter colored bowls were finished with a coat of Seal-A-Cell and three coats of Arm-R-Seal. The oil finish made the walnut bowl way darker than I wanted, so it got three coats of General Finishes water based poly. All satin finish.
The plans said to cut the first ring and use that to mark the next one and so forth. Trouble with that is if you go off track while sawing, your errors get multiplied with each new ring you cut. That leads to a ton of extra sanding (which there is plenty of anyway). I found it much easier to lay out all of the rings on paper first before cutting.
-- Chuck, Minnesota