|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 10-13-2015 07:21 PM||1304 views||2 times favorited||15 comments|
I’m still using my slowly shrinking stock of spalted elm. This time I made a box for my daughter for Christmas It’s about 5 inches square and 2-1/2 inches tall. The top and bottom were jointed to get the width I needed and the corners of the box are actually mitered. Then for some reason I covered them with walnut. I also added walnut splines to the corners, but they are hard to see. The hinge is two brass escutcheon pins (which this time I got right the first time!)
I finished this with water base polyurethane which I applied with a foam brush and then wiped off the excess with a cloth. It gives it a smoother finish without the glassiness of spray lacquer. I tend to get away from sprays as the weather cools.
I feel I could have executed the lid better, but that’s how I learn—by doing and rethinking.
Below is the box which this one replaces.
And here’s my box with her paraphernalia in it.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!