|Project by oldreddog||posted 10-09-2015 11:48 AM||646 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
A client of mine who I have done projects before told me she had a girl friend who needed something for a roof rebuilt.
I contacted her and made a appointment to look at these cupolas , she wanted them repaired.
Well as you can see in the second photo they were junk when they were built.
I told her I would build something she would be proud to have installed on her home.
I gave her a ball park figure and said It would be more then less.
The project is all white oak glued ( outdoor glue) Titebond 3 and Gorilla glue and screwed from behind. I had never done any real fancy copper flashing jobs , but through a little investigation and trial and error I did a fair job of cutting and bending with a harbor freight brake.
The cupola has a thin kerf cut into the 4 sides and the copper is bent into the kerf then caulked behind and then screwed into the oak with brass screws . All joints welded with soldered and polished back with a 3M pad on a die grinder.
I kept the original poly spires on top per request.
The finish is Sherwin Williams WoodScapes® outdoor satin.
The customer who was thrilled with the product and price had her roofer install.
I think the came out ok.