|Project by CueballRosendaul||posted 10-07-2015 01:47 AM||899 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
While browsing the pine stock at Menard’s (my local big-box home center) I happened upon a nice stack of beetle kill pine. I picked through the pile and bought all the nicely colored stuff and waited for a project to come along. Shortly after that, the wife asked for a couple side tables for the screened in porch.
The tables are 22” tall from the floor, the top is 14” x 18” and made up of two wide pieces glued together with a few biscuits. The legs are a glue up of two straight grain strips so they ended up 1 1/2” square. I winged the taper on the legs with a new tapering jig I built. The apron is 3” and joined to the legs with pocket screws leaving a 1/4” reveal. The end apron pieces have a 3/16” slot cut in them for a set of four cleats that are screwed and glued to the underside of the top so it can expand and contract at will. These tables will be on a screened in porch so I’m expecting a lot of movement.
I did most of the sanding and eased the edges before assembly. Final sanding was to 220 on the top, 150 on the rest. Finish is a liberal coat of BLO (Boiled linseed oil) allowed to dry 24 hours then water based poly. I thought it was important to use the BLO to bring out the color and mellow the white of the pine before applying the poly which doesn’t really do too much for the grain or color of any wood. Three coats on the base, five on the top with a little steel wool between the final coats. I installed a set of nylon tap-in feet to keep it up off the cement floor.
-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.