|Project by Chris Davis||posted 2580 days ago||4211 views||4 times favorited||19 comments|
This is a pair of black lacquer bookcase that I custom built for a customer. I built it mostly from maple with very little popular. The shelves were MDF with a maple cap. One thing the customer requested was fluting. I experimented with different amouts of flutes, but felt like 5 would be the best. The was three flutes in the center with two on the edges. I aligned the beginning and end of the flutes with the top and bottom face frame rails. Since I put flutes on the edge I had a problem with attaching the mid-rail on the face frame. I solved this problem by re-sawed the mid-rail of my face frame to about 1/2” so that it was set back behind the flute. I did the same with the adjustable shelves, which I trimed out with 1 ½” maple to give it more strength. By the way a cool little free online calculator that will measures the sag of shelves can be found at http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm.
It was finished using a medium sheen black lacquer, which was another problem that I had. I wanted a medium sheen but I could not find anyone that had it in stock. I ended up mixing a high-gloss with a flat. I really couldn’t predict what I would get, but it turned out with a perfect medium sheen that I was after. One thing that I considered was to spray it with any sheen and then clear coat it with a medium rubbed effect clear lacquer. I wonder if the sheen would have ended up with the sheen of the last coat. Has anyone done that and would it accomplish what I was trying to do (change the sheen). Please give me some feedback.
I have more picture of what I worked on this week along with a live video feed of our shop (during work hours) at http://wwbeds.com/Current%20Projects.htm
-- Watch live video from our shop. http://wwbeds.com/live.htm